Every story has a beginning and everyone has a story. Piper can't remember the beginning of her story, but she knows that the start of something great is about to happen. Any prelude to this very moment, could matter little to her now.
Ferociously, the fire whipped and roared loudly in her presence. She was captivated by its brilliance. Piper stood waiting and watching as the fire continued to grow. At last, she could make out shadows throughout the burning light and a voice finally spoke, "Where are you?"
Struck dumb, she replied to the voice from the fire, "I'm here."
There was no reply.
Dammit! I'm here, she cursed herself. Could I have thought of anything less specific or pointless to say?
After a few more spouts of frustration to herself, Piper felt less upset.
I finally made the connection! I can't go on beating myself up for my response no matter how ridiculous it was, because now I know there is a possibility of reestablishing the connection. Now, if only I can make out the shadows. I can't hear him, but perhaps I can find out where he is based on the shadows.
Just as she turned back to look at the fire, the sound of gunshot, like that of an enormous battalion rang loud, soon followed by a huge burst that blew Piper several feet away. The fire had blown out. Fixing herself back to her feet, Piper could only see the tops of trees and the smoke from the fire blowing into the night. Fortunately, the full moon provided enough light for her to make out Willy. Although, he was a relic that was in need of some skilled mechanical attention, he took her places. Willy, of course, was Piper's 1953 Jeep pick-up that she'd been freely given due to his sad state of existence. Being a lover for all things classic and out-dated, she accepted him.
There you are, mister. Oh no, don't you worry about me. I'm just fine. That damn fire just gave me some more bruises to add to the collection. What do you say we call it a night and head on home? You know, I really ought to learn not to talk to you, Willy, as if you were ever going to say something back. Then again, I can't say I'd ever have expected us to make the connection we just did back there. Maybe I'm losing it. First I talk to a voice in the fire and then I wind up here talking to you. That's true, Willy, I always talk to you.
Piper, discontinued her conversations to Willy and just whistled as they drove back home. She new that this was the beginning of something great, but she'd have to rest up before continuing her journey.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment